Center for the Collective Use of Scientific Equipment
«Laboratory of High Energy Physics and Astrophysics»
Center for the Collective Use of Scientific Equipment «Laboratory of High Energy Physics and Astrophysics» of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (CCUSE LHEPA) was created as a separate unit of the University to provide research services at contemporary X-ray and gamma-ray observatories. CCUSE grants access to data from numerous international scientific projects and own observations on cosmic missions such as International Gamma-Ray Astrophysics Laboratory (INTEGRAL), X-ray Multi-Mirror Mission (XMM-Newton), Chandra X-ray Observatory (Chandra), Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope (Fermi) and Cherenkov Telescope Array (СТА) with possible processing and physical interpretation from the Centre’s leading employees.
The CCUSE LHEPA aims to ensure access to space mission databases for scientists, students, and all interested groups, to assist in processing specific objects with the Centre’s computational powers, and also to prepare Ukrainian scientists for working on international cosmic missions. With the help of the Center, specialists in the field of optical and radio astronomy can expand the observation range of their objects to the X-ray and gamma diapasons.
Tasks of the Center:
- promoting the implementation of state scientific-targeted and technical programs according to the determined priority thematic directions of scientific research and technological development;
- involvement of students, masters, postgraduates, and young scientists from all over Ukraine in research and technics development works;
- conducting joint and interdisciplinary scientific research with domestic and foreign scientific basements and institutions of higher education;
- promotion of international scientific and technical cooperation.
The participants of the Center are:
- Ivan Franko National University of Lviv MES of Ukraine (LNU).
- Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (BITP NANU).
- Pidstryhach Institute for Applied Problems of Mechanics and Mathematics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (IAPMM NASU).
- Main Astronomical Observatory NAS Of Ukraine (MAO NASU).
- Kyiv Academic University of the NASU and MESU (KAU).
The Center uses the material and technical base of the structural divisions of the University and has the right to use the equipment of the structural divisions of its participants following the established procedure. The equipment and location of research modules and systems, which are included in the composition of CCUSE LHEPA, are determined by the additional agreement:
- the VIrtual Roentgen and Gamma Observatory (VIRGO UA) - the scientific computer center of high-energy astrophysics for supporting the research in fields of cosmomicrophysics and processing of the data given by cosmic missions in X-ray and gamma diapasons INTEGRAL, XMM-Newton, Chandra, Fermi, opened in Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (KNU, Physics faculty, Quantum Field Theory and Cosmomicrophysics department (QFTC), Astronomy and Space Physics (ASP) department, room 423) and in the Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (BITP NANU) in 2006 with funds from a grant from the Swiss National Science Foundation Scientific Cooperation between Eastern Europe and Switzerland (SCOPES) 2005-2008 to support the infrastructure project (Joint Research Projects and Institutional Partnerships, IB7420-111020 Title: Creation and maintenance of a computing astroparticle center, 100'000 CHF, Co-ordinator: Courvoisier Thierry, INTEGRAL, Science Data Centre, Versoix, Switzerland. Participating partners from the Ukrainian side – KNU and BITP NANU). An additional branch of the VIRGO Center at the Astronomical Observatory of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (AO KNU, room 17) was opened in 2013.
within the framework of international cooperation:
- an international infrastructure project for the construction and operation of an array of Cherenkov telescopes (Cherenkov Telescope Array CTA) for the study of space sources of gamma radiation (full Ukrainian members of the Consortium since 2015: KNU, LNU, IAPMM NASU). To ensure the participation of scientists in the project (preparation of observation programs, development of hardware for processing observation data, conducting observations, and obtaining their results), a computer CTA center (room 10) was opened at AO KNU.
- an international infrastructure project for the construction and operation of a space detector of long-wave gravitational radiation: the Laser Interferometric Space Antenna (LISA) Consortium (since 2020, three KNU representatives are associate members).
The Center's computers are running only the original software developed by participants of relevant projects for processing data from space and ground missions. Local databases have been created to allow scientific analysis of the received observation data.
Within the VIRGO project, a number of scientific schools were held with the involvement of international experts to train the Center's staff for work on processing observation data, to provide advice and help to all users of the Center. In the structure of the Center, scientific groups and sections can be created to carry out work in separate thematic directions.
If you have used CCUSE «Laboratory of high energy physics and astrophysics» in your research work, we would be grateful for the following acknowledgment:
Це дослідження проведено за підтримки Центру колективного користування науковим обладнанням "Лабораторія фізики та астрофізики високих енергій" Київського національного університету імені Тараса Шевченка. (Ukrainian)
This research was made with the support of the Center for the Collective Use of Scientific Equipment "Laboratory of high energy physics and astrophysics" of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. (English)